Health and Human Services
The Health and Human Services Division (
- Area Agency on Aging of the Heart of Texas (AAA)
- Heart of Texas Aging & Disability Resource Center (ADRC)
- Heart of Texas 2-1-1 Call Center (2-1-1)
- Heart of Texas Rural Transit District (RTD)
The MISSION of the Health and Human Services Division is a commitment to improving the quality of life for those whom the Health and Human Services Division serves that are in greatest need by:
- Providing advocacy, assistance, and access to appropriate services.
- Developing a comprehensive continuum of care; and
- Empowering those in greatest need, regardless of location, income, national origin, religion, or disability.
The VISION of the Health and Human Services Division of the Heart of Texas Council of Governments is to enhance the development of a comprehensive and coordinated system of health and human services within the planning and service area for those whom the Health and Human Services Division serves.
The Health and Human Services Division is directed by Deputy Executive Director Gary W. Luft and includes the following programs:
Community Health FairYour health is one of the most important things you have and the Heart of Texas Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) wants to hel...
Area Agency on AgingArea Agency on Aging of the Heart of Texas 1514 South New Road, Waco, TX 76711 (254) 292-1800 Gary Luft, Director Donnis Cowan, Manager The Area Agency on Aging (AA...
Aging and Disability Resource CenterThe Heart of Texas Aging & Disability Resource Center (ADRC) provides older individuals, individuals of any age with disabilities, family caregivers, veterans, and families wit...
2-1-1Heart of Texas 211 is a “free” social service help line answered by trained specialists who assist callers with their social service needs and refer the...
Rural TransportationThe Heart of Texas Rural Transportation District (HOTRTD) provides demand response public ground transportation to the public of any age, including but not limited t...
Health and Human Services Coordinating Council (HHSCC)
The Health and Human Services Advisory Council (HHSAC) is a voluntary group of citizens appointed by the HOTCOG Executive Committee to serve in an advisory capacity to the Area Agency on Aging (AAA), the Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC), and the Area Information Center (211).
Membership on the Council includes individuals representing the needs of health and human service consumers including older persons, minority individuals, persons with disabilities, caregivers, advocates for health and human service provider organizations, advocates for transportation provider organizations, advocates for support service organizations, local elected officials, the public, and persons with leadership experience.
The Council is made up of twenty-five voting representatives:
- Three (3) from Bosque, Falls, Freestone, Hill, and Limestone Counties
- Ten (10) from McLennan County
- Four (4) elected Texas Silver-Haired Legislators (TSHL) who are residents in one of the six counties in the Heart of Texas service area and serve in dual capacity as a member.
The Council also includes an unspecified number of non-voting representatives:
- Resource representatives are asked to serve because of their special knowledge or experience in health and human service policies and issues.
- Resource representatives serving in this capacity may be from within or outside the HOTCOG service area and may include representatives from agencies receiving funds from HOTCOG.
The Council normally meets a minimum of four to six times per year depending on need.