Celebrate National Travel and Tourism Week in the Heart of Texas!
10 May 2023
It’s National Travel and Tourism Week from May 7th through the 13th and communities in the Heart of Texas are celebrating! This week, the folks at HOTCOG would like to emphasize the importance of the travel and tourism industry and show our appreciation for the joys of traveling.
National Travel and Tourism Week was established exactly 40 years ago in 1983 and occurs annually during the second week of May. The week-long celebration provides an opportunity to acknowledge the positive impact that the travel and tourism industry has on local economies throughout the Heart of Texas. The travel and tourism industry not only benefits local economies, but it also produces a rise in cultural exchange and elevates the well-being of Heart of Texas residents.
National Travel and Tourism Week Events in the Heart of Texas
During National Travel and Tourism Week, communities across the United States hold guided tours, festivals, exhibits, outdoor activities, concerts, events that showcase their city's history, and other festivities. Doing so offers an exciting way to promote the travel and tourism industry and encourage residents and visitors alike to find and explore various attractions throughout the city.
The Heart of Texas hosts events during National Travel and Tourism Week, plus residents and visitors can also find a multitude of destinations to explore. Below are some upcoming Travel and Tourism Week activities along with popular attractions throughout the region to visit year-round.
- The Waco Convention & Visitors Bureau introduced the new Waco Mobile Welcome Center Bus that will travel to farmers markets, festivals, and other local and state-wide events to promote Waco. Visitors and locals are welcome to stop by.
- The Waco Convention & Visitors Bureau hosted a pop-up market featuring food trucks and local artists on Sunday, May 7th. The first 50 visitors to arrive at the Waco Welcome Center received free coffee and gelatos!
- One popular Heart of Texas destination is Magnolia in Waco owned by Chip and Joanna Gaines, stars of the HGTV show “Fixer Upper.” The area features the Magnolia Market, Shops at the Silos, Magnolia Table, Magnolia Home, house and cottage vacation rentals to book for your retreat, and more.
- We also recommend visiting the Brazos River in Downtown Waco where you can swim, fish, and attend the Brazos Nights concert series along the riverfront.
- Waco is also home to the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, a fascinating destination for sports enthusiasts.
- Industry professionals, mark your calendars for the 2023 Texas Travel Summit taking place from October 16th through the 18th at the El Paso Convention Center. The Texas Travel Alliance invites travel professionals across Texas to register for the 38th annual summit.
HOTCOG Can Direct Businesses in the Travel and Tourism Industry to Helpful Resources
The HOTCOG team encourages businesses in the travel and tourism industries to apply for the Texas Travel Industry Recovery Grant Program (TTIR). If your business was negatively impacted by COVID-19, it may be eligible for a one-time grant of up to $20,000.
We also recommend utilizing the U.S. Travel Association’s National Travel and Tourism Week 2023 Industry Toolkit. An easy tip to start with is to add #nttw23 to social posts related to Travel and Tourism Week on your personal or business accounts, along with this year’s theme #travelforward.